It was a food day at work a little while back. I caught Lynn in the break room tossing a salad she was putting together for lunch and I was quietly watching her out of the corner of my eye. I was curious because in goes a bunch of my favorite ingredients…and then, out of nowhere, handfuls of Fritos. Now she’s got my full attention. Fritos.
“Do tell, Lynn….what’s goin’ on over there”. She says “Oh ya, this salad is a favorite – from my mom’s kitchen, she calls it ‘That 1970’s Salad'”.
I had to beat off the crowd to the food table to get a serving and it was gone within minutes. With the first bite, I knew this was something my family would love. After work I went to the store to get the ingredients and made it for dinner that very night. My hubs fell in love with it and I’ve made it several times in the past few months…..last week, in fact.
So, I did a recipe search and found it’s also called Catalina Salad. There are several variations including adding taco meat. This is Norma’s version and I’m so glad Lynn introduced it to us. It’s easy, fresh, filling and would be perfect for a pot luck or tailgate party. Plan to toss this one up soon – it’s yummy!
You can see in the picture below that I served it with my skillet cornbread and honey butter. A perfect meatless dinner any night of the week.
That 1970's Salad
- Your favorite salad mix or one head of iceberg or romaine
- 1 can Ranch Style Beans with Jalapeno, drained
- 1/2 cup tomato chopped
- 1/2 cup green onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced black olive
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 pkg Fritos
- 1 small bottle Catalina dressing (light or fat free is good, too)
- Toss ingredients then add dressing to taste just before serving. I also added 1 can of mexican style corn, drained. You can add or omit veggies according to your preference!