You had me at Honey Bun….
I don’t know what I’ve done to deserve it but a dear friend of mine, Patty Eddy, takes time out of her busy life & bakes me a cake on my birthday. She pulls it out of her oven and bundles it up. It’s this gorgeous, scrumptious, heart felt gift and she delivers it to me at my office before the work day has even begun. In fact, with my birthday a few weeks ago, she brought me 2 birthday cakes…one for my work family to devour right away, and one for me to take home for Chris and the boys to enjoy. She is an angel and I so appreciate her.
So, of my top 3 favorite cakes – 2 of them come out of Patty’s kitchen and this is one of them. I’ll be posting about her other cake soon. I would request it as part of my last meal.
But on to the Honey Bun cake – This is a “knock your socks off” treat to enjoy after a long day, a celebration with family and friends or at 2AM with a glass of cold milk.
Honey Bun Cake
- 1 box yellow cake mix with pudding in the mix
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup water
- 2/3 cup oil
- 8 oz. sour cream
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans (walnuts work too)
Glaze: I use 1/2 tub of cream cheese frosting, slightly melted, then drizzle over top
- Turn the oven on to 350 degrees.
- Beat all of the cake ingredients on medium for 2 mins.
- Pour 1/2 of batter into greased 9×13 pan.
- Sprinkle with half of topping.
- Pour rest of batter over top & sprinkle with remaining topping.
- Gently swirl through batter with knife.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 28-33 mins, or till toothpick comes out clean.
- You may cover edges with foil about 2/3’s of the way through baking, as the edges tend to get overly brown before the center is done.
- Cool on rack, then drizzle with frosting.