So I’m getting closer to the age of
50, er, 39 and I only recently became introduced to fabulous brussels spouts! I always believed them to be a sorta stinky, brown knobby thing that probably started out green but was cooked into oblivion. A few years ago, my dear friend Jenny brought some over in a wonderful dish very similar to this one. I fell in love with them. Thank you, Jenny.
This is a salad we’ve made over & over for family and friends. It’s kind of interesting because most folks don’t know what they’re eating exactly. They compliment and serve themselves more, then when they ask what’s in it, I say brussels sprouts they look at me like I have two heads.
It’s fresh and crunchy, light but also filling, the salty & sweet are a perfect balance. It’s full of fiber and vitamins. It holds over amazingly well for the next day. The key is to have those cuties sliced very finely. A mandolin works best (watch those fingers) and a food processor would work, too.
This holds a top 5 spot on my forever favorite salads. Who knew? I would love for you to try it. It’s yummy.
Brussels Sprout Salad with Cranberries & Toasted Walnuts
- ½ pound raw brussels sprouts, washed and shredded with a mandolin (a food processor also works)
- 1 package salad mix or 5 cups of your favorite variety of lettuce
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- ½ cup dried cranberries or Craisins
- ½ to ¾ cup grated or shredded parmesan cheese
- ½ cup olive oil
- 3 to 4 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons mustard – Dijon or stone-ground is best
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Make the salad dressing first. I always double the batch to use on other salads later in the week.
- In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, add all dressing ingredients and shake vigorously. Taste for sweetness. Add a bit more honey if you prefer.
- Set aside
- Add the chopped walnuts to a small skillet and toast, dry, until you start to smell the aroma. Watch carefully so they don’t burn. Remove out of the hot pan and set aside on a plate to cool.
- In a large bowl, add the shredded brussels sprouts and salad mix, cranberries, cheese & cooled walnuts.
- Toss with the dressing, a few tablespoons at a time so it doesn’t get over-dressed.
- Serve and enjoy!