Another winner from Patty’s kitchen. This is a truly addicting, crunchy, toasty, sweet & salty, light and fresh cabbage salad. I could eat the whole batch.
Super simple to make and it comes together quickly. Although I shredded 2 varieties of cabbage – Savoy & Napa, you could easily use the pre-shredded cabbage in a bag. I made extra dressing, as well (of course I did, I always make extra dressing).
I brought this into work for lunch the next day and it held over beautifully. I added some grilled chicken to it and it was perfect. I also made my husband a flat bread sandwich with the grilled chicken and topped it with the salad. It was insanely good.
Thank you, Patty! Cheers!
Light & Crunchy Asian Cabbage Salad
- 1 head of cabbage (I used 1/2 head of Napa & 1/2 head of Savoy), very thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup of green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup red pepper, thinly sliced (optional – I added it for color)
- 2 – 3 tablespoons of roasted sesame seeds
- 1/2 to 3/4 cups slivered almonds, dry roasted
Dressing: (for one batch, I doubled this)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 canola oil
- 1/4 white wine vinegar, or rice wine vinegar, or white vinegar (whatever you have on-hand)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (maybe a splash more to taste)
- a dash of sesame oil if you like
- Add all the dressing ingredients in a jar with tight lid and shake. Taste and add more soy or sugar if you like. I added a pinch of pepper. Set aside.
- Place the slivered almonds in a dry fry pan (no oil) and heat over medium until toasty. Immediately remove from heat.
- Very thinly slice the cabbage and green onions.
- In a large bowl, toss the cabbage, onions, slivered almonds and add the sesame seeds.
- Add a bit of dressing and toss, add a little more dressing if needed but you should essentially under-dress it for now. Cover and place in the frig to rest 15 or 20 minutes. Toss again, add a bit more dressing if needed and serve.