I ask my boys, how does queso sound? They look at me thinking I might have been hit on the head. When have they never wanted queso? Ever.
This is a copycat recipe & credit goes to Top Secret Recipes. Hands down it’s the best queso I’ve ever tried. It’s perfect for work functions, you make it in advance and heat it in a crockpot. In addition for dipping chips, you can add it to tacos, breakfast burritos – anything you want to bump up the zesty cheesy factor. A dollop of this into mac & cheese would be incredible. I double the batch and freeze the other 1/2.
Recipe is below!
Chevys Chile Con Queso
- 1 16 ounce box Velveeta, cut into chunks
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup onion, finely diced
- 1 green Anaheim pepper, or mild green chile, finely diced, enough to make 1/2 cup
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded & finely diced
- 2 teaspoons minced cilantro
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- pinch of salt
- pinch of dried thyme
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded & diced (about 2/3 cup)
- Garnish with ranchero cheese, or any Mexican cheese
- Combine Velveeta & milk in medium saucepan and heat over medium/low heat. Be careful not to burn it.
- When cheese is melted, add all remaining ingredients except the tomatoes. Continue to cook over medium low until flavors combine. Remove from heat & stir in the tomatoes.
- Pour the queso into serving dish, top with crumbled Ranchero and serve with tortilla chips.