What could be better than something warm, delicious and filling on a chilly evening. For me, this has comfort food written all over it. A savory ground beef and beans mixture with sweet and crunchy corn, topped with a cornbread that has honey, jalapeños, creamed corn & cheese in the batter. Add a dollop of sour cream …and YUM…..
The recipe is below and cheers!
Tex-Mex Cornbread Skillet with Ground Beef & Beans
For the meat mixture
- 1 medium onion, small chop
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 28 oz can baked beans, including liquid
- 1 can corn 15 oz, drained
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- Turn on the oven to 400F
- In a large cast iron skillet, brown the chopped onion and ground beef then drain off any remaining fat.
- Season with chili powder, salt, pepper
- Add Worcestershire sauce and ketchup.
- Add baked beans and corn. Stir to combine.
For the cornbread
- 1 store bought box or package of corn bread mix.
- 1 can creamed corn
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons chopped jalapeno – to taste
- I use Marie Calendars Original Cornbread Mix which only calls for water as the additional ingredient. Check your package ingredients to see if you’ll need anything additional.
- Rather than using the amount of water the package calls for, I add 1 can of creamed corn,1/2 cup water, the honey, cheese and jalapenos.
- This method makes a more moist, dense cornbread which is sweeter and has a bit of kick and really holds up well with the ground beef mixture.
- Prepare the cornbread batter and top on the meat mixture. Spread evenly and bake until the cornbread is done, about 30 minutes or when a knife comes out clean.
- Serve with sour cream and salsa if you like.