This sensational dish is one of my favorite ways to incorporate apricot and is the perfect flavor-packed weeknight meal. A play on Tacos Árabes, which literally means Arabian Taco, these chopped chicken street tacos combine the best parts of Middle Eastern and Mexican cuisine.
An Arabian Chicken Taco?
Tacos Árabes is a dish created by Lebanese and Iraqi immigrants who moved to Mexico in the early 20th century. Arabian tacos combine the Middle Eastern technique of spit-roasting layers of marinated meat with fresh ingredients local to Mexico.
With A Sweet & Smoky Solo Foods Twist
While I use Tacos Árabes for inspiration, this recipe is definitely my own version. With the addition of fruit to complement the spice of the chipotle peppers, this makes for the ultimate marinade. Our secret weapon for these mouthwatering street tacos is Solo Foods Apricot Cake & Pastry Filling. That may sound a little unorthodox, but trust me, it not only works-- it’s a must!
Using juicy chopped chicken
Tacos Árabes would typically be made with lamb or pork, but my family prefers these tacos with juicy chopped chicken breast. I lay out the components taco-bar style for people to assemble their own. So, they're a surefire crowd-pleaser every time. You could also make these street tacos vegetarian by using zucchini, mushrooms, or another garden veggie in place of the chicken.
Tacos Árebas Yogurt Sauce
We use yogurt as the base for our cilantro lime crema as a nod to the Middle Eastern roots that inspired the dish. You could sub crema or sour cream, but I highly recommend the yogurt because it’s darn tasty! I make the sauce from a simple combination of yogurt, lime juice, cilantro, and a dash of sugar. It whips together in under a minute and is the perfect way to top your sweet & spicy chicken street tacos.
In case you're looking for an idea of how to use the rest of the Solo Apricot Filling I recommend this Amazing Apricot Solo Strudel!
Chopped Chicken Tacos Árebas with a Sweet & Smoky Twist
- 2 lb chicken breast patted dry
- ½ can Solo Apricot Filling 1 cup
- 1 can chipotle peppers in adobo roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoon garlic, chopped about 3 large cloves
- ½ cup diced onion about ½ a medium onion
- 3 tablespoon lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- water to thin if desired
- ½ cup plain greek yogurt, or crema, or sour cream
- 2 tbsp lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 tablespoon cilantro, minced
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- salt & pepper to taste (if desired)
- 1 pack flour tortillas street taco size, mini, or small
- 3 cups cabbage, sliced thinly or shredded
- 2 avocados, chopped
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup queso fresco, crumbled cheese
- Trim fat and pat dry the chicken breasts. If desired, slice in half lengthwise so they'll cook faster.Transfer to a bowl or a large heavy-duty plastic bag.
- Combine remaining marinade ingredients and mix thoroughly. Reserve ½ C that can be added to the cooked chopped chicken mixture at the end. Set aside.Pour the marinade over the raw chicken, mix to incorporate, and coat the chicken. Allow to rest 30 minutes or up to overnight.
- In a small bowl, jelly jar, or squeeze bottle combine the yogurt (or sour cream or crema) with the lime juice, minced cilantro, and sugar. Mix thoroughly. Taste for seasoning, adding a little salt & pepper if desired.Refrigerate until needed. Can be made in advance.
Cook the chicken
- Grill, broil, or pan sear the chicken until thoroughly cooked and there are some charred or seared areas that will add additional flavor.Transfer to a cutting board and allow to cool slightly. Chop into ½ inch dice and place in a bowl.Add a few spoonfuls of the reserved marinade to thoroughly coat the chicken. How much you use will depend on how saucy you want your mixture.
Prepare other taco ingredients
- Thinly slice the cabbage.Chop the avocado.Crumble the queso fresco.Warm flour tortillas.
- Add some chicken filling into a warm flour tortilla, lay in cabbage, chopped avocado, crumbled queso fresco, then squeeze or spoon on the yogurt crema. Top with a few cilantro leaves if desired.