In my house we call these “Toasties”. As in, ‘does anyone want a toastie!?’
Shredded cheese, chopped red onion, chopped cilantro, black mustard seeds. An unbelievable combination. Authentic Dahi Toast uses a yogurt mix as a spread – elevating this sandwich to new heights, but for my version, I just use the cheese mix – it’s quick and easy and we LOVE it. We sometimes dip it in ketchup. The homegrown onion and cilantro make this a Garden To Table favorite.
Dahi Toast using homemade bread? Yes. Please. In this photo I’ve used my Easy White Sandwich Bread. If you’re looking for a fast and easy homemade bread recipe, this one’s for you. You can check it out here: Easy White Sandwich Bread
Dahi Toast - The Ultimate Grilled Cheese
- 4 slices sandwich bread
- 1 cup grated cheese your choice, whatever you have but a blend of creamy and sharp is nice (cheddar & swiss, or cheddar & monterey jack)
- 1/4 cup red onion finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro chopped, heaping tablespoons
- 1 tbsp black mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp butter room temperature
- Grate the cheese, chop the onion and the cilatro and mix together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Place a non-stick skillet on medium-low heat and very lightly butter one side of each piece of bread and lightly sprinkle on some black mustard seeds. The seeds will stick to the butter.
- In the warm skillet, place a slice of bread butter/seed side down. If you have space to do 2 at a time, then place another slice in next to it. Top with 1/2 of the cheese mixture, then the other slice of bread (butter/seed side up).
- Grill slowly and monitor the color of the bread to not burn, watch for the cheese to melt. Covering briefly with a lid will help retain the heat. Flip over when the bread is golden brown to cook the other side.
- Remove from heat, slice and enjoy! Dip in ketchup if desired.