An easy and delicious homemade strudel with purchased ingredients that comes together in a snap! Perfect for breakfast, brunch, a snack with coffee or tea.
Easy Blackberry Almond Strudel
A light and flaky homemade strudel that pulls together in minutes using easy to find purchased ingredients. This recipe makes 2 strudels but can easily be halved.
- 1 box puff pastry 2 per box
- 1 beaten egg for brushing on the pastry
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds for sprinkling on top
- 1 tbsp turbinado sugar to sprinkle on top (optional)
- 8 oz softened cream cheese
- 6 oz almond paste 1/2 of a 12oz can
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup jam your favorite
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp almond extract or more per taste
- 2-4 tbsp milk
- Pre-heat the oven to 400f
- Beat with a hand mixer or wooden spoon the softened cream cheese, almond paste, and egg yolk. Set aside
- Stir your jam so it's easy to spoon.
- Thaw until workable, roll out slightly
- On the outer 1/3 of each side of the pastry, slice cuts on a diagonal about 1 1/2 inches apart
- Spread half of the filling mixture down the center (save the other 1/2 for your 2nd pastry)
- On top of the filling spoon on 1/2 of the jam (save the other 1/2 for your 2nd pastry)
- Fold each cut strip into the center, brushing on the beaten egg to act as a glue, alternate each side, crossing them over each other in the middle. Seal the ends so the filling doesn't leak out.
- Brush on the beaten egg liberally, then top with the almond slices, and then a sprinkle of turbinado sugar (optional).
- Place on a baking tray lined with parchment and if you have space, put it in the freezer for a few minutes to firm and chill. This step will allow the puff pastry to puff up more when baked.
- Bake about 30 minutes at 400f. Checking often and tenting with foil at the end to prevent over-browning. When done, the pastry should have puffed up slightly and the filling is bubbling.
- Allow to cool, then drizzle on the glaze.
- Slice and enjoy!
- In a small bowl, stir together the powdered sugar, almond extract, and a few teaspoons of milk at a time. Add additional milk as needed (only a spoonful at a time) and stir until you get the desired consistency.
Calories: 326kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 28mg | Sodium: 93mg | Potassium: 105mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 30g | Vitamin A: 207IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 1mg