A tried and true egg salad that is worth peeling those dang eggs! Served on homemade sourdough or your favorite bread or cracker, lettuce wrap or tortilla wrap, or like us: straight out of the bowl – with a spoon – standing over the sink. This version is our favorite.
I hope you enjoy it!
The Best Egg Salad
- 8 eggs
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp mustard preferrably Dijon
- 3 tbsp onion preferrably red onion
- 2 tbsp sweet pickle relish
- 1 tbsp fresh herb parsley or chervie or dill, chopped
- dash cayenne
- Place eggs in a large pan and fill with hot tap water, bring to a boil.
- As soon as the boil is reached, put a lid on the pan, turn the burner to the lowest setting and set the timer for 12 minutes.
- Remove from heat, carefully pour out hot water, fill the pan with cold tap water and drain. If you have ice cubes, cover the eggs with the cubes and fill with water to make an ice bath. One at a time, crack each egg on the counter on the top and bottom, and put back into the pan of ice-water (or cold water). Let sit until eggs have cooled. Then peel.
- Mixture method #1 : Slice each egg in half, removing the yolk and placing the yolk in a separate small bowl, set aside. Chop the egg whites into bite sized pieces and put into a medium sized bowl. Mash the egg yolks with a fork, add the remaining ingredients to the egg yolks, thoroughly combine then add to the egg whites and stir. Taste for seasoning and serve.
- Method #2: Using an egg slicer or a knife, chop the eggs into bite sized pieces and place into a medium sized bowl with the remining ingredients, stir to combine, taste for seasoning and serve.