The Best Egg Salad is My Go-To Recipe, for sure. It's a tried and true egg salad that is worth peeling the eggs! Served on homemade sourdough or your favorite bread or cracker, lettuce wrap or tortilla wrap, or like us: straight out of the bowl - with a spoon - standing over the sink. This version is our favorite.
New on the blog!
You might also like:
I hope you enjoy it!
The Best Egg Salad
- 8 eggs
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp mustard preferably Dijon
- 3 tbsp onion preferably red onion
- 2 tbsp sweet pickle relish
- 1 tbsp fresh herb parsley, chervil, or dill, chopped
- dash cayenne
- Place eggs in a large pan and fill with hot tap water, bring to a boil.
- As soon as the boil is reached, put a lid on the pan, turn the burner to the lowest setting, and set the timer for 12 minutes.
- Remove from heat, carefully pour out the hot water, fill the pan with cold tap water and drain. If you have ice cubes, cover the eggs with the cubes and water to make an ice bath. One at a time, crack each egg on the counter on the top and bottom and put it back into the pan of ice-water (or cold water). Let sit until eggs have cooled. Then peel.
- Mixture method #1: Slice each egg in half, removing the yolk, and placing the yolk in a separate small bowl, set aside. Chop the egg whites into bite-sized pieces and put them into a medium-sized bowl. Mash the egg yolks with a fork, add the remaining ingredients to the egg yolks, thoroughly combine, then add to the egg whites and stir. Taste for seasoning and serve.
- Method #2: Using an egg slicer or a knife, chop the eggs into bite-sized pieces and place into a medium-sized bowl with the remaining ingredients, stir to combine, taste for seasoning, and serve.
I have to say, I'm loving the new hard-boiled eggs my grocery store has in stock lately. They're sold in packages in the egg aisle and are already boiled and peeled. This egg salad comes together so quickly and easily if you can find them. I mainly use them for egg salad and potato salad because they're boiled hard and firm, so they hold up well with other ingredients.