The best of both worlds combined in an egg roll that will blow your mind. Bulgogi & Philly sytle steak sandwich flavors. Thank you to BN Grill for this masterpiece of a snack. Worth every minute of prep. See note in the recipe for my meal planning plan of attack.
Korean Philly Cheese Steak Egg Rolls
- 1/2 cup canned pineapple
- 1 small Asian pear
- 1 1/2 bulbs garlic peeled, rough chop
- 1/2 cup Mirin
- 1/2 can Sprite
- 1/2 to 1 cup carmelized onion
- 1/2 cup scallions
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
Egg Roll Filling
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 3 cups soy sauce
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
- 3/4 - 1 pound rib eye steak cut extremely thin and chopped
- 1 cup carrots sliced small and thin (you can use the shredded carrots that you purchase in the grocery store)
- 1/2 - 1 cup cup sliced onion
- 3 tbsp sesame oil
Egg Roll Wraps
Queso Dip (purchased or homemade)
Sesame seeds and chopped cilantro for garnish if desired
- Slowly cook sliced onions over medium heat until caramelized.
- In a blender add the pineapple & rest of the ingredients down through the list including the sesame oil, blend until pureed.
- In a large bowl, mix the sesame seeds, soy sauce and the brown sugar. Add the blender mixture to the large bowl with the soy sauce and brown sugar and mix well.
- Add the thinly sliced ribeye meat, the sliced onions and carrots to the marinade and let rest in the refrigerator least 1 hour or overnight.
Prepare the filling
- Drain the meat mixture. Heat 2 Tbsp. of sesame oil in a large hot skillet, add meat mixture and brown. Brown in 2 batches if needed depending how large your skillet is. Let meat mixture cool.
Fill the egg rolls
- On a flat clean surface, lay out a few egg roll wraps at a time and brush all sides with either water or an egg wash (water beaten with egg). This will seal the edges when wrapped.
- Place small amount of meat mixture in the center of the wrap, top with 1/2 a slice of American Cheese and roll up, folding in corners and sealing the seams. Place the rolled egg rolls on a plate with a slightly damp paper towel on top to prevent drying out.
Fry the egg rolls
- In a deep fryer or dutch oven, heat canola or vegetable oil to 350F and fry egg rolls until wraps turn golden brown. Drain on a paper towel.
- Slice diagonally if desired and serve along side a bowl of queso dip. Or, can top the sliced egg rolls with a few tbsp of queso and sprinkle on sesame seeds and a bit of chopped cilantro for garnish.