Lemon Zucchini Bread is truly one of my favorites. So easy and fast. Bright, fresh, moist - it's nearly a cake! Perfect for using up that zucchini. Start now and it will be ready to slice in 90 minutes.
This batter (like most of my cakes, muffins, and sweet breads) uses either sour cream or greek yogurt as an ingredient. I love the light and bright taste and moisture it brings to the dish. With the yogurt present (dairy), any acid that is added (lemon juice, baking soda, etc) can and probably will curdle the batter. This is momentary and not a concern - the flour will homogenize the mixture and you will end up with a smooth batter in the end. Just an FYI in case that happens - it's ok.
If you're in the mood for more zucchini recipes you might like FUDGY ZUCCHINI BROWNIES WITH CHOCOLATE CHUNKS and ZUCCHINI SPICE CAKE WITH CREAM CHEESE FROSTING.
Lemon Zucchini Bread with Zesty Lemon Glaze
- 1 ¾ C flour all-purpose
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 C butter unsalted, softened (or oil)
- 1 C sugar
- 2 eggs large
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ C plain yogurt or sour cream
- ½ C fresh lemon juice for batter
- 1 tbsp lemon zest for batter
- 1 ½ C grated zucchini
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice for glaze (about)
- 2 teaspoon lemon zest for glaze
- Pre-heat the oven to 350f. Line a loaf pan with parchment. Spray with non-stick spray.Set aside.
- Grate 1 medium zucchini. (don't peel it). Yield should be around 1 ½ cups. Set aside.
- Zest and juice the lemons. For the batter, you'll need: ½ C lemon juice + 1 Tbs zestFor the glaze, you'll need: 3 T lemon juice + 2 teaspoon zest
- To a small bowl, add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and kosher salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl beat the sugar and butter until light. Add eggs one at a time, scraping down the sides.
- Add the vanilla, yogurt (or sour cream. Beat until combined.
- Add lemon juice/zest, and zucchini. Beat until just barely mixed.
- Add ½ of the dry ingredients. Gently mix with a spatula or spoon. Add the rest and stir to combine.
- Spoon into the prepared loaf pan & bake on the center rack about 45 min or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Monitor the color during the 2nd half of the baking time, tenting with foil if needed to prevent over-browning. Meanwhile, make the glaze.
- To a small bowl, add powdered sugar and lemon juice. Add the lemon juice teaspoon by teaspoon, stirring each time - add enough juice to make a nice glaze texture. Add the zest and stir in. You can easily increase the amount of glaze to suit your taste.
- Let bread fully cool. Spread on the glaze, zest fresh lemon over the top, slice, and serve.
Did you know that I bake at 'high altitude'? I really should say I bake at high elevation' because after all, I'm not baking on an airplane. Haha. If you have questions about high elevation baking I would recommend you check out the link below. It helped me with this Lemon Zucchini Bread.
King Arthur Flour https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/learn/resources/high-altitude-baking
Leave a Reply