These little roasted beet chips are a surprise 'oh wow!' revelation. Crispy, sweet, and salty. Additively snackable. Look for beets that are baseball size or ones that are oblong and about 4 inches in diameter are perfect.
The beets have their familiar earthy flavor but it sweetens up in the roasting process and the hit of sumac makes them shine. They are VERY snacky, and I've found those that don't like beets, try these and end up eating 1/2 the bowl. They disappear fast so make extra!
Sumac is one of my favorite spices lately. It might throw people off thinking it's spicy because of it's color, but it's anything but. It's a light, bright and lemony flavor, ideal for perking up other more earthy flavors - so it's fantastic with the beets. If you can't find sumac, it can be omitted. You might try substituting ground coriander, or chat masala if you have that on-hand.
Below is a link for the sumac I buy. It can be found in most ethnic markets and spice shops. Our local stores don't carry it so I order it online.
Oven Roasted Beet Chips with Sumac Sour Cream
- 8 beets medium size, tops remove and scrubbed
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp sumac see note below
Sour Cream Dip
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tsp sumac
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. If you have a baking steel - this is a great time to use it.
- Slice thinly to 1/16" - using a mandoline is easiest. Discard the nubby ends.
- Place in a bowl with the salt, toss to coat, and let sit for 20 minutes. Some of the moisture from the beet will weep, and can be drained off, creating a crispier chip.
- Drain off moisture and paper towel dry, add oil and sumac to the bowl and toss.
- Arrange in one layer on a baking sheet, bake 10 minutes, keeping an eye on them, flip to crisp the other side. Continue baking another 3-4 minutes, possibly more depending on the thickness of the beet slice. Watch carefully, once they start to crisp, they can quickly over-bake. I will take the pan out, remove the ones which are crisp and put the tray back in the oven to finish the larger ones.
- As soon as out of the oven, sprinkle additional salt to taste.
Sour Cream Dip
- In a small bowl combine the sumac and the cumin, stir to combine. Serve along side the beet chips.