A bright and fresh marinade with a generous hit of garlic and red pepper flake makes this an easy and zesty chimichurri like combination – perfect for chicken, seafood or fish, tofu, beef, and definitely veggies!
A great way to use up your fresh basil is to make 1 batch of pesto and divide it up into various uses and dishes. And if you’d like to learn how to prune your basil to double the growth all season long – then click here for our easy step by step tutorial. Chris teaches you exactly where to snip the stalks to double, triple, quadruple the growth.
Pesto and Lemon Grilled Chicken
- 2 tbsp prepared basil pesto
- 1 large lemon fully zested (about 1 tbsp), then squeezed (about 4 tbsp)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp fresh chopped garlic
- 1 tsp italian seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- Combine all together in a sturdy zip lock bag or a non-metalic bowl.
- Before adding your protein or veggies, save back 3 tbsp of marinade and set aside. You'll use this to brush on your grilled chicken once it's sliced and plated.
- In the remaining marinade, add your protein or vegetable of choice and let rest for the recommended length of time: chicken about 30-1hr, seafood and fish no longer than 30 min, veggies 30 min, firm tofu (pressed dry) 1 hour, and beef 1 hour or up to overnight.
- Grill until cooked through, set aside and let rest, then slice and spoon or brush with reserved marinade.