Unbelievably moist and bursting with banana flavor. This banana bread will be your go recipe. Try it toasted with a pat of butter!
Ultimate Banana Bread
- 1 3/4 flour all purpose
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter unsalted, softened
- 4 bananas medium, over-ripe (thawed from frozen or cooled from baked), roughly mashed (about 1.5 cups)
- 1/2 cup yogurt, plain or sour cream, or buttermilk
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs large
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped (optional)
- 1 tbsp pecans or walnuts, chopped (optional)
- 1 tbsp white sugar to sprinkle the top to sprinkle on the top (optional)
- Heat oven 325F or 162C. You'll bake this on a rack in the center of the oven.
Prep the pan - Makes one loaf
- Spray a bread loaf pan with cooking spray, then line the long edge with parchement paper leaving enough so it trailes over the sides. Spray again and set aside
- Whisk dry ingredients in a small bowl and set aside. (see note)
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter and sugars until light and some air is incorporated, add eggs one at a time, beating between each addition. Add vanilla and yogurt (or sour cream, or buttermilk). Add bananas, beat on low for 15 seconds until just incorporated.
- With a spatula or spoon, stir in the dry mixture until just incorporated. Fold in nuts.
- Pour into loaf pan that was prepped with parchment & non-stick spray, smoothing out into the corners. Sprinkle on 1 tbsp of sugar and 1 tbsp of nuts.
- Bake about an hour, checking at the 40 or 45 minute mark to see how brown the top is coming along. Cover losely with with foil to prevent over-browing. Test with a skewer or toothpick for doneness. When it comes out clean, it's done. Remove and let cool in the loaf pan 30 minutes. Lift up by using the sides of the parchment and transfer to a cooling rack. Carefully holding with one hand, peel off the parchment and let cool on cooling rack until ready to slice and serve.