This Ultimate Chocolate Chip Banana Bread is loaded with bananas and chocolate chunks. It takes just a few minutes to put together and bakes for about an hour.
Baking With Bananas
When storing bananas, you can freeze them whole in the peel. There's no need to wrap them in plastic or use containers. The peel protects the flesh from freezer burn. Simply let them thaw on a paper towel on the counter until soft, then snip the stem off and squeeze out the banana along with the juice.
Why I Use Sour Cream With Quick Breads
Adding sour cream, yogurt, or even buttermilk will improve your quick bread texture and flavor. The sour cream's acidic nature will react with the baking powder giving a better rise, especially if you bake at elevation. You won't necessarily taste the sour cream or yogurt, but there will be a brighter flavor compared to quick bread recipes that don't call for it. If you're not a fan of sour cream or yogurt, leave it out and replace it with an additional three tablespoons of butter or neutral oil.
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Tips
- Bake in the center of the oven.
- Check the bread after 30 minutes and again at 45. Tent with foil if needed to prevent over-browning.
- Allow to cool at least 10 minutes before pulling the bread out of the baking pan.
You might also like this Zucchini Applesauce Bread With Brown Sugar Oat Streusel.
And new on the blog!
Ultimate Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- 1 ¾ flour all-purpose
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup butter unsalted, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs large
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup yogurt, plain or sour cream, or buttermilk
- 3 bananas medium-large, over-ripe (thawed from frozen), roughly mashed (about 1.5 cups)
- 1 ½ cups chocolate chips or chunks
- Heat oven 350F. You'll bake this on the center rack.
Prep the pan - Makes one loaf
- Spray a bread loaf pan with cooking spray, then line the long edge with parchment paper leaving enough so it trails over the sides. Spray again and set aside
- Whisk dry ingredients in a small bowl and set aside. (see note)
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter and sugars until light and some air is incorporated, add eggs one at a time, beating between each addition. Add vanilla and yogurt (or sour cream, or buttermilk). Add bananas, beat on low for 15 seconds until just incorporated.
- With a spatula or spoon, stir in the dry mixture until just incorporated.
- Add 1 cup chocolate chips (or chunks) saving the remaining ½ cup for the top.
- Pour into a loaf pan that was prepped with parchment & non-stick spray, smoothing out into the corners.
- Sprinkle on the reserved chocolate chips.
- Bake about an hour, checking at the 40 or 45-minute mark to see how brown the top is coming along. Cover loosely with foil to prevent over-browning. Test with a skewer or toothpick for doneness. When it comes out clean, it's done. Let cool in the loaf pan 30 minutes. Lift up by using the sides of the parchment and transfer to a cooling rack. Carefully holding with one hand, peel off the parchment and let cool on a cooling rack until ready to slice and serve.
If you like quick breads, you might also like LEMON ZUCCHINI BREAD WITH ZESTY LEMONY GLAZE.
Did you know that I bake at 'high altitude'? Whether it's this Ultimate Chocolate Chip Banana bread or any other baking, I refer to this guide quite a bit. If you have questions about high elevation baking I would recommend you check out the link Colorado State University https://extension.colostate.edu/topic-areas/nutrition-food-safety-health/high-altitude-food-preparation-p41/#3k