What can be better than a loaf of ultimate banana bread – unless it’s banana bread studded with chocolate chips!
Ultimate Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- 1 3/4 flour all-purpose
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter unsalted, softened
- 2 eggs large
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup yogurt, plain or sour cream, or buttermilk
- 3 bananas medium-large, over-ripe (thawed from frozen), roughly mashed (about 1.5 cups)
- 1 cup chocolate chips + some to sprinkle on top before baking your preference of dark, milk chocolate, or semi-sweet.
- Heat oven 325F or 162C. You'll bake this on a rack in the center of the oven.
Prep the pan – Makes one loaf
- Spray a bread loaf pan with cooking spray, then line the long edge with parchment paper leaving enough so it trails over the sides. Spray again and set aside
- Whisk dry ingredients in a small bowl and set aside. (see note)
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter and sugars until light and some air is incorporated, add eggs one at a time, beating between each addition. Add vanilla and yogurt (or sour cream, or buttermilk). Add bananas, beat on low for 15 seconds until just incorporated.
- With a spatula or spoon, stir in the dry mixture until just incorporated. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour into loaf pan that was prepped with parchment & non-stick spray, smoothing out into the corners. Sprinkle a few chocolate chips on the top.
- Bake about an hour, checking at the 40 or 45-minute mark to see how brown the top is coming along. Cover loosely with foil to prevent over-browning. Test with a skewer or toothpick for doneness. When it comes out clean, it's done. Let cool in the loaf pan 30 minutes. Lift up by using the sides of the parchment and transfer to a cooling rack. Carefully holding with one hand, peel off the parchment and let cool on a cooling rack until ready to slice and serve.