Mandarin Orange Salad with Pan-Fried Feta and Herby Honey
Fresh crunchy greens, sweet mandarin oranges, dried cranberries, nuts, avocado, red onion, and amazing crispy feta with herby honey. A hearty and satisfying salad.
For the dressing
- 1/4 cup neutral oil or light olive oil
- 3 tbsp juice from the mandarin oranges
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 dash cayenne red pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
For the feta cheese
- 1 block feta cheeses sliced into 1/4 to 1/2 inch wedges
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 beaten egg + 1/4 cup water egg wash
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
For the herby honey
- 2 tbsp chopped herbs of choice any combination of: parsley, basil, oregano, summer savory, thyme, rosemary, chives.
- 1/2 cup honey
Salad greens and toppings
- 4 cups leaf lettuce of your choice
- 1 can mandarin oranges, reserving 3 Tbsp of juice 11oz can
- 1/2 cup sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 sliced avocado
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts
For the crispy feta & herby honey
Blot the block of feta dry with a paper towel and slice into 1/4" to 1/2" wedges. Dredge in flour, then the egg wash, then the bread crumbs. Pan fry in 1/2 - 1 inch of hot oil. Allow to drain on paper towels or a clean repurposed brown paper bag.
Chop herbs and mix with honey. Set aside until needed. There will be extra honey to save and drizzle on muffins, cornbread, biscuits, ricotta cheese & toast.
For the salad assembly.
Prepare greens (and sprouts if you have them) in a large bowl. (If I want to present this on the table or buffet I'll divide the ingredients and place them in groups or sections. If I'm making this family-style I'll just toss everything together.)Add the oranges, feta, onion, cranberries, avocado, mixed nuts. Drizzle the feta with herby honey then spoon on some Mandarin Orange Citrus Dressing and toss. Enjoy!
Calories: 451kcalCarbohydrates: 58gProtein: 8gFat: 23gSaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 369mgPotassium: 886mgFiber: 9gSugar: 25gVitamin A: 18014IUVitamin C: 66mgCalcium: 156mgIron: 4mg