This Zucchini Ribbon Flatbread Pizza recipe is fast and easy. And zucchini pizza is delicious. I'm using a store-bought flatbread shortcut for this one but feel free to use a homemade or purchased pizza dough.
Flatbread is perfect for a quick zucchini pizza.
Combining something homemade, with a purchased component is my go-to plan of attack when making a menu for the week. Even as much as I cook, there's no way I'm going to scratch make every component of every meal. We all need more shortcuts. I'm busy and have zero guilt about using flatbread for a quick pizza.
The star here is the zucchini, and also the WHIPPED HERB RICOTTA WITH GARLIC AND PARMESAN - which is the "sauce". It's semi-homemade and ultra-creamy, herby, and garlicky. I use it as an ingredient component in so many things, especially a quick veggie pizza. Here are some more ideas below:
- garlic bread
- grilled veggies
- sandwich spread
Zucchini ribbons are fantastic, in my opinion. So easy to do and they bring such a wonderful 'twist' to anything and everything where you'd normally use fresh zucchini. We love them piled lose and high on pizzas like this, or pasta, or grilled fish or chicken. Because they're sliced so thinly, the texture makes them perfect for a raw crunchy zucchini ribbon salad.
How To Make Ribbons
The quick and easy way to make zucchini ribbons is to use a speed peeler. It's one of those plastic peelers that you can find at the dollar store. I use mine for everything and have a few on hand as spares. They make great little holiday and hostess presents, too. (I digress).... Using a mandoline also works great. I set the dial between ⅛th and 1/16". Or use a knife and slice as thinly as you can.
More zucchini? You might also like FUDGY ZUCCHINI BROWNIES WITH CHOCOLATE CHUNKS.
Zucchini Ribbon Flatbread Pizza
- 2 purchased flatbreads each 10 inches round
- 1 cup Whipped Herb Ricotta
- 1 zucchini medium size, ribboned
- 1 yellow squash small, optional
- ¼ cup red onion sliced, or other favorite veggies
- 1 cup mozzarella grated
- 1 cup Gruyere cheese or other strong cheese
- ¼ cup grated parmesan
- drizzle olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt and pepper (each)
- Using a speed peeler (or similar) ribbon the zucchini and yellow squash.
- Generously spread on the Whipped Herb Ricotta
- Sprinkle lightly with pearled or grated parmesan cheese
- Sprinkle some of the grated cheese
- Twist the zucchini ribbons, piling high and loose, and keeping them airy. They'll cook down during baking so try to pile them but without densely squshing them together.
- Add the other ingredients if you have them. I added red onion.
- Top with a little more cheese.
- Drizzle a tablespoon of olive oil, then salt & pepper
- Bake in a preheated 425f oven for 15-20 minutes until cheese is melted. Watch towards the end so edges don't become over-browned.
- If desired, add another little sprinkle of pearled Parmesan after it comes out of the oven.