Who doesn't love a zesty and creamy soup? This is my take on the classic Italian soup with sausage, kale and potato. An easy recipe and a family favorite served along side a nice slice of garlic bread and a simple green salad.
As a bonus, it utilizes garden potatoes and kale, and is a perfect lunch for next day.
Zuppa Toscana Classic Tuscan Soup
My take on the classic Italian sausage, kale, and potato soup. An easy recipe and a family favorite.
- 6 slices bacon sliced into bite sized pieces
- 1 lb sweet Italian Sausage
- 1 cup onion diced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 Tbs flour
- 8 cups chicken broth low sodium if preferred
- 1 bunch kale stemmed & chopped (about 3 cups packed)
- 3 large potatoes cut into 1 inch cubes, or quartered then ½ inch slices (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- In a large soup pot brown the bacon pieces over medium - to medium high heat until crispy, spoon out bacon with slotted spoon, leaving behind the bacon drippings. Set aside.
- Add the sausage and brown until cooked, spoon out with a slotted spoon and add to the reserved bacon pieces, leaving behind 3 Tbs of bacon & sausage drippings. Refrigerate until needed.
- Add onion and red pepper flakes to the pot with the drippings, saute until onion starts to soften but not brown.
- Add the 2 Tbs of flour and stir, scraping the bottom of the pot and coating the sauteed onion. Continue to stir 30 seconds until the flour starts to turn a very light blond color.
- Add the chicken broth and stir, scraping the bottom and sides of the pot.
- Add the potatoes, then the kale, stir and turn the heat to low to medium-low, partly covered with a lid. Simmer 20 minutes. Will take less time if potatoes are sliced rather than cubed.
- Check potatoes for doneness. Should be fork tender.
- Add back in the sausage and bacon, then the heavy cream. Stir to combine and the cream is heated through but do not boil.
- Season with salt and pepper to your taste.
I often lighten this up by using turkey bacon and either regular whole milk or ½ and ½. It still has great body and creamy consistency.
Calories: 650kcalCarbohydrates: 34gProtein: 22gFat: 48gSaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 126mgSodium: 2281mgPotassium: 1429mgFiber: 5gSugar: 1gVitamin A: 2846IUVitamin C: 73mgCalcium: 152mgIron: 8mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Leave a Reply